Jennie's meme

>> Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It took me a while to come up with the books (big dilemma: most of my favourite, favourite books are pretty well-known), but at last, here's my answer to Jennie's experimental meme.

The rules? Veeery simple: just list and describe three of your favorite books that other people might not be familiar with. Then tag five people.

So, here we go:

My first is Desire's Moon, by Elane Osborn, and this is one I'm willing to bet not many of you will have heard of. I actually tried to find out more when I read it, a couple of years ago, and there was nothing at all online.

Anyway, this book has a very unique setting: 1897 San Francisco. And not just that, it's also got a great heroine, who's trying to build herself a place in the archeology field, and a lovely, beta professor of a hero. And the romance... ahhhh.



A Countess Below Stairs, by Eva Ibbotson is probably better known (it's even been reviewed at AAR), but you just don't hear enough buzz online about Ibbotson, considering how wonderfully Romantic with a capital R her books are.

And this one is the most romantic of them all... the heroine is an exiled Russian countess who's forced to find a job as a maid in an aristocratic house in England. And wouldn't you guess it? She falls in love with her employers' son. Very telenovela-ish plot, but it's written in such a sweet, funny and charming way that you can't help but fall in love with it.

Best news of all: it's just been reissued, less than two weeks ago.



Finally: The Shadowy Horses, by Susanna Kearsley. I know Jennie, at least, knows this one, but Kearsley is another author who's not as well-known as she deserves. This particular title is my favourite of hers. It's one of those books I recognize is flawed, but which I still enjoy immensely.

It's also another one with an archeology theme. There's a dig in Scotland, searching for a lost Roman legion, ghosts and a lovely romance. And there's also one of the most vividly rendered settings I've ever read, so if you feel like a nice trip to Scotland...



Now, who to tag? Having taken so long, I'm thinking most people will have been tagged already. Let's see, I believe I haven't seen it in these blogs yet:

Ana
One of the Ja(y)nes
Katharina (time to resusitate that blog, honey!)
Marg
RenéeW

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP