August 2013 wish list

>> Wednesday, July 31, 2013

August is looking pretty good, with a couple of my favourite authors releasing much-anticipated books.

Will definitely read



Guardian Demon, by Meljean Brook (Aug 6)

My most anticipated book of the last few years. It technically shouldn’t be here, since I’ve already read it (I loved it, the review will be up right after the release date). I couldn’t leave it out, though.




Here Without You, by Tammara Webber (Aug 6)

Here Without You continues the story in a book I really liked, Good For You. This was originally amongst the books below, those I wanted to read a few reviews for before I made up my mind, since some of what is in the blurb made me fear Webber was going to take their supposed HEA in a direction I didn't want to see. However, Jane from Dear Author has assuaged some of those fears, so I'm definitely reading it.





Deception Cove, by Jayne Castle (Aug 27)

JAK's books have ranged from blah to good-ish for the last few years, but I still haven't managed to cut the cord. Also, it might be wishful thinking, but the past couple of books have seemed to be getting better on the romance side and not putting so much emphasis on the tedious paranormal aspects.





The Arrangement, by Mary Balogh (Aug 27)

Balogh has been on my autobuy list forever, and I liked the first book in the series. I'm hoping she's been cured of her extreme seriesitis, though.





Into The Light, by Meljean Brook (possibly Aug 30)

This is a novella in the Guardian series. In the page I link to above, Brook explains that it is basically a subplot she had to cut out of Guardian Demon when it got too long. I love that this is coming out, as much as I adored GD, it made me really sad to think there'd be no more Guardians books.





Books I'm interested in. Will keep an eye out for reviews



The Double Cross by Carla Kelly (Aug 1)

I love Carla Kelly’s writing, and the history in this one sounds fascinating, but I want to see whether it’s an inspirational before I decide to buy.





Omens, by Kelley Armstrong (Aug 20)

I read and enjoyed several of Armstrong's Otherworld books. This one seems to be a new series, and I'm not sure whether it's paranormal or not. Either way, it sounds interesting. I'm intrigued by the setup of the heroine investigating an old murder, one that her birth parents are supposed to have committed.





The Lotus Palace, by Jeannie Lin (Aug 27)

I've been meaning to try Jeannie Lin for a while, and I really like the sound of both the setting and the plot. The author's note (which you can see on the amazon page) sold me on it.

7 comments:

Li 2 August 2013 at 18:47  

I'm really looking forward to the new Tammara Webber - completely glommed her (short) backlist last year.

I didn't realise there was a new Jayne Castle - may request it from the library...

I've not read any of Carla Kelly's inspirationals, but may give them a go one day!

meljean brook 4 August 2013 at 07:35  

Ugh, probably later for the Guardian novella, because I suck at judging my completion dates. And because it is self-pubbed, I have to put it just behind The Kraken King. So, yay! Steampunk. Boo! It means a few months before that subplot is wrapped up. :-(

And I've learned my lesson to never give dates for self-pubbed projects again :-D

Rosario 5 August 2013 at 06:48  

Li: I read Easy, but then I went straight to book 3 in the Good For You series, and I haven't yet gone back to read the 1st two. I guess part of me doesn't want to see Reid behaving like even more of an asshole than he was at the beginning of book 3!

Meljean: Oh, well, I did know that might happen (note the strategically placed "possibly"!). Guess it'll feature in my wish list posts again! :)

nath 6 August 2013 at 16:57  

Is Jayne Castle's JAK pen name for her futuristic books? I haven't read her in while, but perhaps this one...

In common, we have Guardian Demon and The Arrangement :) And I'm definitively getting Omens :)

Rosario 6 August 2013 at 20:30  

Nath: Yes, it is. They tend to be futuristics set in other planets, usually ones colonised by humans and which were then cut off from Earth. If you want to try them, I suggest maybe an old trilogy of hers: Amaryllis, Zinnia and Orchid. Those are great, vintage JAK.

jmc 12 August 2013 at 13:08  

My copy of "The Double Cross" arrived early. It's got some religion (priests as minor characters, characters going to mass and confession) in that it's set in New Mexico in the 18th century and the church is a big part of daily life/routine, but I would definitely not classify it as inspirational. It was, I thought, very much in the vein of her early trads but for setting: a sweet romance with some adventure added in.

Rosario 12 August 2013 at 15:53  

Thanks for that, jmc, I'll go buy my copy now. I really don't mind religion and faith being part of a story (especially, as you say, when it's set in a time and place when they were a big part of life), but I tend to shy from outright inspirationals.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP