September 2013 wish list

>> Friday, August 30, 2013

This looks like a pretty good month.

Books I'm definitely getting


Her Favorite Rival, by Sarah Mayberry (Sep 3)

I love Sarah Mayberry, so I'm definitely reading this, but the plot description makes me go 'uh-oh!'. It's an office romance, and the cover copy explicitly talks about hero and heroine competing for a promotion, and that "only one of them can get ahead". It had better not be the heroine bowing out!




The Burning Sky, by Sherry Thomas (Sep 17)

This is Thomas's début YA. I love her historical romances, and am quite excited to see what she can do in a different subgenre. This sounds really intriguing, as well, with mages and battles against evil and even some romance.




Thankless in Death, by JD Robb (Sep 17)

I'm still going strong with this series. Several books back it felt like it was becoming a bit stale, but there have been several really strong titles since then. The plot of this one doesn't excite me particularly, but I know at the very least, I'm getting a solid procedural with my visit with beloved characters.




* Mirror, Mirror (inc Taken in Death), by JD Robb (Sep 24)

I'm not a big fan of the In Death novellas, but I've confessed it here before: I'm a completist, and therefore I will read them anyway (even though they stand completely outside the main narrative). At least the idea for this anthology sounds interesting; all the stories are based on fairy tales. Will I read any of the other stories? Probably not, but the idea still pleases me.





Books I'm keeping an eye on


Gentle On My Mind, by Susan Fox (Sep 3)

This is the third in a new trilogy that I completely missed. I loved some of Fox's books a few years ago, but her latest was not great. This trilogy sounds a bit... traditional, I guess, which is not necessarily my thing, but I'm willing to give it a shot.




The Messengers, by Edward Hogan (Sep 5)

This is a scary-sounding YA about kids who can predict accidents. Not really sure what to expect, but it sounds interesting.




Darkening Skies, by Bronwyn Parry (Sep 10)

Parry writes really dark Romantic Suspense set in Australia. I've liked what I've read of hers, and this one sounds good. The price for the kindle version (no print available that I can see) is completely ridiculous, so I won't be buying it until it goes down, though. I do have another title of hers to tide me over in the meantime!




Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell (Sep 10)

I'm intrigued because the main character is someone for whom my instinctive reaction is disdain (I'm not proud of this), and I want to see if Rowell can make me understand her and care about her.




Burial Rites, by Hannah Kent (Sep 10 - Aug 29 in the UK)

This one comes out on August 29 in the UK, but since I didn't include it in my previous wish list post, and most of my visitors come from the US, here it is. It's literary fiction, but the plot seems to be a sort-of murder mystery set in 1829 Iceland and it's had great buzz.




The Deaths, by Mark Lawson (Sep 12)

Mark Lawson is one of the hosts of Front Row, an excellent arts programme on Radio 4 that I listen to faithfully every weekday. The book intrigues me; it seems to be social comedy, with a bit of a mystery mixed in.




The Clockwork Scarab, by Colleen Gleason (Sep 17)

This is a "Stoker and Holmes" novel, but it's not Bram and Sherlock, it's Evaline (Bram's sister) and Mina (Sherlock's niece). A couple of society girls are missing, and they feel they can find out what's going on. I like this idea, and while I've had mixed experiences with Gleason, I'm giving it a shot.




Run to You, by Rachel Gibson (Sep 24)

Hmm, I'm not completely sure about this, but I've loved some earlier Rachel Gibsons (I've disliked a few, as well), so I'll keep an eye on reviews.

3 comments:

Liz Mc2 30 August 2013 at 03:24  

I have been wanting to try Bronwyn Parry, and I see her books are now available to me for Kindle (which didn't use to be true). For, as you say, a pretty steep price. But if I could read German, I'd be in luck, because the German translations are available and cheaper. Huh???

Nathalie T 31 August 2013 at 14:22  

I also want to try the new Colleen Gleason book. I wasn't a big fan of her Gardella books, but this one sounds fun.

Rosario 1 September 2013 at 07:29  

Liz Mc2: I only tried her books in the first place because an Australian friend posted me 2 of them a few years ago (which probably cost her as much in shipping as that ridiculous price, so I'm very grateful to her). Anyway, at that price for the kindle edition, the books might as well not be available at all.

Nathalie: I never did try the Gardella books, but I tried a couple of contemps of hers, which were supposed to be a sort of homage to Barbara Michaels. I quite liked the first, but not the second, and I've been meaning to read a third for a while.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP