Back from holiday!

>> Saturday, January 19, 2019

Hello again! I'm back in snowy Helsinki after a very relaxing holiday in Uruguay. A bit of a shock to the system, but I'm still at the honeymoon stage where ploughing through a foot of snow on the way to work (because the usually extremely efficient snowploughs are overwhelmed) is fun and not annoying :)

My holiday was the usual, lots of time with family, lots of walking (usually listening to audiobooks) and lots of sitting in the shade by the pool reading. This year I also incorporated a bit of wine tourism and visited a couple of vineyards. This wasn't really a thing when I left over 10 years ago, but in the interim, Uruguay has developed into quite a good wine destination.

Anyway, on the reading: as usual, I read a tonne of books, including some really good ones. Best were Paladin of Souls (a reread), the new Robert Galbraith and the latest Becky Chambers. Very different books, but all amazing. Helen's Hoang's The Kiss Quotient was also wonderful and lived up to the hype. The big surprise of the holiday was a non fiction book about container shipping, of all topics! That was Deep Sea and Foreign Going (titled Ninety Percent of Everything in the US), by Rose George. It was a surprisingly fun read.

Here's everything I read:


6 comments:

Fernande,  19 January 2019 at 20:44  

Welcome back Rosario! So glad that you had a good holiday and were able to read all those wonderful books. As always, I'm looking forward to your reviews and am particularly curious about the container shipping one.

Sun,  20 January 2019 at 09:52  

Happy New Year! (I can still say that, right?) Glad to see you posted again. What do you say are some of your top favorites last year? And do you like The Kiss Quotients and the Murderbots?

Darlynne 20 January 2019 at 18:16  

Hi! I'm so impressed with everything you read. Eager to hear what you thought of Rennie Airth's book, Robert Galbraith, and Murderbot. All of them actually. Stay warm!

Rosario 21 January 2019 at 04:02  

Thank you all!

Fernande: I'm looking forward to writing about that one. It sounds so boring, and yet it's so much fun to read.

Sun: The Kiss Quotient is one of my top 2018 reads, alongside The Death of Mrs Westaway (Ruth Ware), The Outsider (Stephen King), Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating (Christina Lauren), and then the other two I mention above, Lethal White (Robert Galbraith) and Record of a Spaceborn Few (Becky Chambers). The Murderbot book I really liked as well, and I'm definitely reading the rest of the series!

Darlynne: Reviews coming soon! :) Lethal White and the Murderbot book I really liked, but my feelings about the Rennie Airth book are much more mixed.

Lil 26 January 2019 at 01:07  

Did you like A Woman Scorned? I know it's not new, but I think it's one of my favorite Liz Carlyles. It's the hero. I just love a man who worries about right and wrong and not just "What I want!"

Rosario 26 January 2019 at 05:49  

Li: Yes, very much. It was a reread, as it's also one of my favourites by the author. It's aged really well, although it does feel OTT at certain times :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP