>> Thursday, November 28, 2002

Finished Rapture. Excellent book! An A-. I don't know why I never thought of it as one of my favourite In Deaths.

This is Eve and Roarke practically still in their honeymoon, and they are less "married" than in later books. They are still getting used to being so happy, and this makes for some great scenes. Eve is different here... less hard, more tolerant, I'd say. In the latest books she bullies everyone; here she is more flexible. And Peabody... she's just starting to work with Eve here, and their relationship already shows sparks of what it'll become.

The plot was ok (reminded me of Purity a little bit, actually), though it made for excellent love scenes. The one where Roarke drags Eve into a closet like an animal.... Whew! Hot! And not gratuitous either, since it helps show how Roarke wasn't always this polished and confronts him with the fact that he still has a dark side.

Not much development of Eve's backstory here, no big discovery or remembrance. Eve does wonder if stuff is genetically determined, and if so, what it means that her father was such a monster, but not much more. That's ok by me: I'm interested in Eve's past, but more interested in her present.

Problem: I don't know if I was skimming at some point and missed it, but why does Eve suddenly know it's Reeana when she sees Drew Mathias' nicks flashing across the screen? I went back and reread the previous section, but no luck. I'll have to ask around online.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP