Celebrity in Death, by JD Robb

>> Wednesday, April 11, 2012

TITLE: Celebrity in Death
AUTHOR: JD Robb

COPYRIGHT: 2012
PAGES: 400
PUBLISHER: Putnam

SETTING: 2060s New York
TYPE: Romantic Suspense
SERIES: 35th full-length title in the In Death series

Lieutenant Eve Dallas is no party girl, but she's managing to have a reasonably good time at the celebrity-packed bash celebrating The Icove Agenda, a film based on one of her famous cases. It's a little spooky seeing the actress playing her, who looks almost like her long-lost twin. Not as unsettling, though, as seeing the actress who plays Peabody drowned in the lap pool on the roof of the director's luxury building. Now she's at the center of a crime scene-and Eve is more than ready to get out of her high heels and strap on her holster and step into the role she was born to play: cop.
I quite like a change of pace with the In Death books. After the adrenalin-fest that was New York to Dallas, including massive emotional trauma for Eve, Robb gives our nerves a bit of a rest with this one. It reminded me a bit of an earlier book in the series, Witness in Death, the Agatha Christie homage. Eve actually sleeps and eats properly during this book, it probably means she's going to go through the wringer in the next one!

Long-time readers of the series will know that Nadine has written a book about one of Eve's earlier cases. Well, now it's being made into a film. As a favour to Nadine (and Peabody), Eve is forced to hobnob with the celebs. On a visit to the set they discover that the actress playing Peabody is a massive bitch (Peabody is crushed), so it's almost not a surprise when she's murdered during a party at the director's home that night.

Eve and the gang are actually at the party, and immediately take over the investigation. Surely it should be easy enough to root out the culprit, when the lead detective was actually there on the scene when the murder was committed? Not so easy, especially when the victim was so horrendous that pretty much everyone had a reason to kill her.

I really, really enjoyed this. The personal stuff is pretty low-key in this one, all about Roarke still feeling a bit careful of Eve, after the traumatic last book, and them having to deal with that. It was sweet, and didn't take up all that much space, which I actually didn't have a problem with.

Because the case was really great. The characters are excellently drawn, every single one of them. Even the horrible victim, who was horrible in an understandable way. Robb is the only writer I can think of who, when her detectives are about to interview someone new has me rubbing my hands in glee at meeting another character.

The investigation here focuses on motivations and personalities, and it's shot through with humour. Eve and Peabody's working relationship continues to develop, and I love seeing them work together. Things get a bit grimmer near the end, with a resolution I really didn't see coming, but in a good way.

A solid, enjoyable entry in the series.

MY GRADE: A B+.

8 comments:

Marg 11 April 2012 at 09:09  

I seem to have dropped off of this series. It wasn't a deliberate decision. Just haven't got to it, and I am pretty sure she has released four or five books since I stopped!

Need to get back on board!

Rosario 11 April 2012 at 21:27  

Isn't it funny how that can happen? I have a few series like that, series that I was enjoying, but then I stopped reading for no reason. You should catch up with this one, Marg, just be sure not to read too many in a row!

Anonymous,  12 April 2012 at 12:46  

Great review. I stop reading these because they got to be predictable. I remember anytime she introduced someone new usually they were the culprit she was chasing. After a few books I guess she's learned to change it up and add several new characters to the mix. I do miss this series.

Have you always been on Blogger?

Keishon

Tara Marie 12 April 2012 at 23:35  

I have been rather hit or miss with this series in recent years. I still thoroughly enjoy them, but when I look at the titles, I have no idea which I've read. Like Marg I really need to get back to them.

Rosario 13 April 2012 at 07:35  

Keishon: Oh, yes, there are definitely ways in which this series can be predictable, but since I only read one every 6 months or so, I don't overly mind! And you're right that there's been more variety lately.

Re: blogger: yes, I've been using them for almost 10 years now. I know there are probably better services, but this is just perfect for my needs.

Rosario 13 April 2012 at 07:35  

Tara Marie: LOL! Do you think you might recognise the descriptions? You really should catch up, they're so satisfying to read!

Anonymous,  16 April 2012 at 02:19  

Janet W here. This sure wasn't predictable to me. I loved this book and I really didn't care for the previous one (I missed everyone!). This was great -- especially the developing and on-going Peabody/Dallas relationship.

Rosario 16 April 2012 at 07:04  

JanetW: Agreed! I loved the Eve/Peabody developments as well. They're becoming more and more equals!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP