Test of Time, by Jayne Ann Krentz

>> Monday, May 19, 2003

I am determined to finish posting about my vacation reads today. Only 2 to go, so it's feasible!

Next-to-last, yet another Jayne Ann Krentz: Test of Time.

Experiencing nagging doubts during her wedding ceremony to Garrett, Katy is heartbroken when she learns that the man of her dreams is less interested in love than he is in mutual compatibility and escaping his unhappy past.
So-so; a B-. The book started out very irritating, especially Katy. What was she thinking, not talking to Garrett before they'd got married, to make sure both were looking for the same things in their marriage? She came off as a real idiot, because she'd really acted as if she wanted the same things he did.

Garrett, on the other hand, was much too complacent, and it was good to see him lose some of that patronizing self-assurance. Still, the poor guy really only assumed stuff Katy had made him believe, so I don't think we could blame him all that much.

The book improved, however, about the time when Katy became sensibe again. It ended up being quite nice. The suspense subplot was pretty dumb and perfunctory, but the rest was ok. Nothing special.

One thing that bothered me were the horse analogies and similes. "She was like a shy filly", "He [whatever] like a stallion", and all that. Many authors use them, but for some reason, they always make me uncomfortable. I find them very distasteful. It's strange, but I don't mind when they use other animal imagery, but horses seem to be a turn-off. Just me, I guess *shrugs*.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP